To whom it may concern:
My name is Ric, and I am interested in the position of “person writing words” within the Internet. I am professional and detail-oriented, and I believe that my experience with video games and forming complete sentences will bring a great deal of value to the organization.
I do not have any formal experience in the field of person writing words, but I have been exposed to a variety of other words from organizations similar to the Internet and I feel that I am more than capable of faking it. I am willing to research facts, provide sources, and opine with lukewarm takes. I can also include screenshots with my work upon request.
I have been playing video games for as long as I can remember, and I have finished some of them. Over the years, I have worked hard to develop my talents in the areas of problem solving and obtaining goals. I am proficient in adventure games, Metroidvanias, action RPGs, platformers, and some shooters. My experience covers a broad range of console manufacturers, including Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Sega, and wherever PCs come from. I am familiar with several controllers, and my key achievement is being able to remember the button layout on either a Nintendo or Microsoft controller by form factor alone.
When I am not playing the video games I’m good at, I am playing RPGs. Role-playing games are not typically my forte, but I am stubborn and want to research them and then write about them anyway. One day I will write a series of blog posts called “Heroes’ Quests” wherein I play and discuss the Dragon Quest series from the beginning! While it may seem like I cribbed that name from the original title of a classic adventure game series, I did.
Outside of gaming, I generally gravitate toward media with strong, emotional storytelling and believable characters. I’m a big fan of Star Trek and spend an unreasonable amount of time watching and following professional wrestling. I waffle occasionally with an acoustic guitar, and my wife and I have developed a growing love for board games.
I believe that my background, skills, and personality will make me an asset to your team. Please see my attached resume and feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I look forward to pressing the “publish” button on this relationship! Little blogging humor there.
May the light shine upon thee,
Leverage my extensive but functionally useless familiarity with video games by writing something interesting about them. Explore current and historic entries in my favorite media and delve deeper into the franchises and genres that influence me most. Achieve creative satisfaction by brute force and feel like I am accomplishing literally anything.
Adept at puzzle-solving with experience in both inventory- and logic-based puzzles. Able to learn board game rules and follow them successfully. Long-time PC builder. Can finish Super Metroid in 1 hour and 7 minutes. Have completed Dark Souls several times actually. Proficient with Microsoft Word and Excel.
Video games (approx. 1991 to Present)
- Broad love for games with adventure and exploration elements
- Fondness for strong storytelling, atmosphere, and world-building
- Appreciation for well-written characters with relatable and believable motivations
- Affinity for puzzles and overcoming challenges
- Preference for cooperative multiplayer experiences over competitive
- Will never stop playing Super Metroid so don’t even ask
- Was brought here by humans who wished to pay me tribute in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
- Thought Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest was just fine and enjoyed it more than Castlevania III, wanna fight
- Wept through much of Ori and the Blind Forest
- Hollow Knight… dear Hollow Knight…
- Finished all of the Zeldas? Finished most of the Zeldas
- Had a heart of gold and didn’t let them take it from me in Demon’s Souls
- Rang the bells of awakening and linked the fire in Dark Souls
- Beat Dark Souls 2
- Usurped the fire as the Champion of Ash in Dark Souls 3
- The sweet blood, oh, it sang to me in Bloodborne
- Took this Gyoubu’s head and departed to the west in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
- Trained in both parser and point-and-click interfaces
- Developed multitasking skills early in my career by learning to read while reading hint books
- Navigated obtuse puzzles in Gobliins and Goblins Quest 3
- United the Land of the Green Isles and even took the hard path in King’s Quest VI
- Was a real pantload (as usual) in Space Quest IV
- Elected King of Silmaria in Quest for Glory V
- Achieved status of frontier pharmacist bourgeoisie in Freddy Pharkas
- Completed research courses on voodoo, werewolves, and vampires in Gabriel Knight
- LucasArts adventure games are fine too I guess